Anyone who has changed their name since birth (and does not have a valid U.S. Passport in their current name) needs to show proof of the name change(s). Acceptable documents for proof of legal name change are a certified marriage certificate (issued by a state vital records agency), a certified adoption document, or a certified court order authorizing a name change (such as a divorce decree). If you have been married multiple times you will need to proide proof of all name changes (unless you have taken back your maiden/birth name or hold a valid U.S. passport.
MUST HAVE ONE document to prove Social Security number. The documents below are the only ones we can accept for proof of Social Security number (document must include name and full social security number). Please do not ask us to accept anything other than the documents below:
* Social Security Card
* W-2 Form
* SSA 1099 Form
* Non-SSA 1099 Form
* Pay stub (must include name and full social security number)
MUST HAVE TWO documents to prove your residential/physcial address. A parent’s proof of address is acceptable for a minor child. Please bring two of the documents listed below (each must contain your current address):
* Utility bill
* Credit Card Statement
* Pay stub or earnings statement
* Rent receipt
* Phone bill
* Transcript or report card from accredited school
* Bank statement
* Mortgage document
* Tax document
* Homeowners/renter’s insurance policy
* Other items will be reviewed by licensing personnel
* If you are unable to provide proof of residency please call 1-800-952-3696 or see the website at www.dps.sd.gov for exceptions.
* PO Box addresses are acceptable only in areas not assigned street or 911 addresses. Utility bills, cable bills and land-line phone bills usually list a “service-provided-at” address.
If you have been issued a drivers license or ID card since 12-31-09 (and you still have possession of that driver license or ID) U.S. citizens only need to provide your federallly compliant drivers license or ID and proof of residential address. Non-citizens must also show a valid U.S. Citizenship and Immigration document authorizing their presence in the United States.
DRIVER LICENSE FEES
Drivers License or ID Card - Newor Renewal (Class 1, 2, or 3) is $20.00
Commercial Drivers License - New or Renewal is $25.00. (Endorsement Tests - $10.00 each test)
DuplicateDrivers License or ID - $10.00
Reinstatement Fees - $50.00 to $250.00